We will provide instructions before and after your treatment.
Pre- & post-sedation dentistry
PRIOR TO YOUR SURGERY
If you are receiving general anesthesia as part of your treatment, there are several things that you will need to do prior to your procedure. Please follow the instructions provided by our dentists and team as closely as possible. Please observe these instructions leading up to your procedure:
- Begin fasting at midnight the night before your procedure if your appointment is in the morning. If you have an afternoon appointment, do not eat anything for eight hours prior to your appointment.
- While fasting, drink only clear fluids (water, apple juice, black coffee, sports drinks, etc.).
- Do NOT drink opaque liquids (alcohol, orange juice, creamer, milk, etc.).
- Do NOT drink ANY fluids within six hours of your procedure.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages or use tobacco products within 24 hours of your procedure.
Do not take any of the following medications for two days before your appointment:
- MAO inhibitors
You may continue to take the following medications with a small sip of water:
- Cardiac medications
- Pulmonary medications
- Anti-seizure medications
- Anti-Parkinson’s medications
THE DAY OF YOUR SURGERY
On the day of your procedure, please:
- Brush your teeth normally. Do not swallow water or toothpaste.
- Do not wear makeup or nail polish.
- Do not wear contact lenses, jewelry or dentures.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and flat-soled shoes. Shirts with short sleeves are ideal..
Minors must have a parent or legal guardian present for the entirety of their procedure.
You should have someone available to drive you home following your procedure and someone to stay with you for at least 12 hours following your treatment. You will not be fully alert following your procedure and will not be able to drive, operate machinery or other hazardous devices, or return to work or school. You may require assistance when climbing stairs or attempting other difficult tasks.
If you have any changes in your health the morning of your appointment, please contact our office immediately. We will reschedule your appointment if needed.
If you have any questions, we encourage you to contact our office. We will be happy to answer your questions and provide you with any additional information or instructions you need.
At Dentistry and Braces group, we believe that everyone deserves exceptional dental care, no matter their age or circumstance. For personalized, comprehensive dental care, contact our experienced dentists and make your appointment today.