Good oral hygiene is essential for a successful orthodontic treatment.
Oral hygiene with braces
MAINTAINING ORAL CARE
Our dentists and team will review your oral hygiene while you receive orthodontic treatment. You may need to make some adjustments to your at-home care routine while wearing braces or receiving other treatment to keep your teeth and smile healthy. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment at Dentistry and Braces Group, call our team today.
GUIDELINES FOR HEALTHY TEETH
While you are wearing braces (as at any time), it is essential that you maintain good oral hygiene. Proper oral hygiene may be a bit more difficult with braces, but it is important that you take good care of your smile so you can prevent dental problems like tooth decay, gum disease and demineralization. If left untreated, these problems can cause more serious oral health issues and even prolong your orthodontic treatment. To keep your smile healthy while you have braces, our dentists and team encourage you to follow these guidelines:
- Brush your teeth at least three times every day. Brush after every meal, and if you eat a sugary snack in between meals, it is best to brush again.
- Use an interproximal brush to help clean around the brackets and wires. It can help to clean spots that your toothbrush might have a hard time reaching because of your braces.
- Floss at least once every day. Using a floss threader can make it easier to thread the floss behind the wire of your braces.
- Rinse your teeth with water every time you clean your teeth. Based on your specific needs, we may also recommend a specialized rinse.
- Pay attention to the list of foods to avoid with braces. This can help to keep your smile healthy and avoid damage to your braces.
If you would like more information about how to maintain good oral hygiene with braces, we invite you to contact our office today. We are eager to speak with you!
At Dentistry and Braces group, we believe that everyone deserves exceptional dental care, no matter their age or circumstance. For personalized, comprehensive dental care, contact our experienced dentists and make your appointment today.